Israeli forces continue systematic attacks against Palestinian civilians and property in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt)
· 4 civilians, including a child and a woman, died of wounds they sustained during the latest Israeli offensive on the Gaza Strip.
· A baby died in Jerusalem because of tear gas inhalation.
· 8 Palestinian civilians, including 3 children and an elderly woman, were wounded in different shooting incidents.
· Israeli forces continued to use force against peaceful protests in the West Bank.
- A reporter of Palestine TV was wounded during Bil’in weekly protest.
- A protester was wounded during a peaceful protest at the entrance of Selwad village, northeast of Ramallah.
· Israeli forces conducted 77 incursions into Palestinian communities in the West Bank.
- 60 Palestinian civilians, including 5 children, were arrested.
- 14 of these civilians were arrested in occupied Jerusalem.
· Israel has continued to impose a total closure on the oPt and has isolated the Gaza Strip from the outside world.
- At least 9 Palestinian civilians, including 3 children and a woman, were arrested at military checkpoints in the West Bank.
· Israeli naval forces continued to target Palestinian fishermen in the Gaza waters.
- Israeli forces opened fire thrice at Palestinian fishing boats and arrested 2 fishermen and confiscated their fishing boat.
· Israel has continued its efforts to create a Jewish demographic majority in occupied East Jerusalem.
- 7 houses were demolished in Beit Hanina and al-Za’im, north and east of the city.
· Israeli forces have continued to support settlement activities in the West Bank and Israeli settlers have continued to attack Palestinian civilians and property.
- Israeli forces demolished al-Rahma Dairy and a cattle barn belonging to the Islamic Charitable Society in Hebron.
- 7 houses and 4 civilian facilities in north and south of the West Bank were demolished.
- 3,799 dunums from Sourif village and other villages, south of Bethlehem, were confiscated.
- Israeli settlers attempted to kidnap a woman in Sho’fat neighbourhood in the north of occupied Jerusalem.
Israeli violations of international law and international humanitarian law in the oPt continued during the reporting period (28 August – 03 September 2014).
In the Gaza Strip, although 9 days have passed following the Egyptian-brokered truce agreement between the Palestinian resistance groups and Israel, the catastrophic consequences of the 51-day Israeli offensive on the Gaza Strip have been present. During the reporting period, a number of wounded persons died of wounds they sustained during the offensive.
During the reporting period, a Palestinian baby died because of tear gas inhalation in occupied Jerusalem, as Israeli forces fired tear gas canisters to disperse the Palestinian protesters in al-Tour Mountain, east of the city. Moreover, 2 civilians, including a woman and a child, died of wounds they sustained during the latest Israeli offensive on the Gaza Strip, while hundreds of wounded Palestinians have been receiving medical treatment in hospitals in the West Bank and Gaza Strip and other hospitals abroad for the seriousness of their wounds. In the meanwhile, Israeli forces violated the truce several times by opening fire at Palestinian fishing boats sailing within the allowed fishing area and arresting a number of fishermen.
A Palestinian baby died in Jerusalem because of tear gas inhalation when Israeli forces were dispersing Palestinian protesters in al-Tour Mountain, east of the city, while 4 other civilians, including a woman and a child, died of wounds they sustained during the latest Israeli offensive on the Gaza Strip. During the reporting period, 10 Palestinian civilians were wounded in the West Bank, including 3 children, and old woman and a journalist. Wounds of some of them were described as serious.
In the West Bank, a baby, Hanadi Abu Sbeitan, from al-Tour neighbourhood in occupied east Jerusalem died on Thursday, 28 August 2014, because of tear gas inhalation, when Israeli forces fired tear gas canisters at her family's house on 26 August 2014.
On 29 August 2014, a 17-year-old male sustained 2 bullet wounds to the left leg when Israeli forces opened fire at a number of boys in Daher al-Baragheesh area, east of Beit Ommar, north of Hebron. The boys threw stones at Israeli soldiers, who opened fire in response.
On 01 September 2014, a 40-year-old man sustained a bullet wound to the belly, and a 78-year-old elderly woman suffered tear gas inhalation, when Israeli forces moved into al-Far’ah refugee camp. The woman was taken to Tubas Turkish Hospital for the seriousness of her health condition.
On 31 August 2014, Israeli forces fired rubber-coated metal bullets at Mohammed Abdul Majid Sonoqrot (16), east of the Old City in East Jerusalem. Sonoqrot sustained a bullet wound to the head and his wound was serious. His father said that an Israeli soldier targeted his son and fired at him from a close range during the Israeli incursion into the said area.
On 02 September 2014, Israeli forces stationed at “Eyal” checkpoint, north of Qalqilya, opened fire at a jeep with an Israeli registration plate driving through the checkpoint. As a result, 2 civilians, who had no permits to enter Israel, were wounded. The wound of one of them was serious. The 2 persons were arrested and taken to Israeli hospitals for medical treatment.
On 03 September 2014, a Palestinian adult and a child were wounded when Israeli forces moved into Nablus, as a group of youngsters gathered and threw stones at Israeli soldiers. The Israeli forces surrounded a 3-storey house and shelled a wall in the building, while opened fire at the second floor. Israeli forces claimed there was a wanted person hiding in the building, but it was proved untrue.
Israeli forces used excessive force against peaceful protests organised by Palestinian civilians, international and Israeli human rights defenders in protest at the construction of the annexation wall and settlement activities in the West Bank. As a result, a reporter of Palestine TV was hit by a tear gas canister to the right side while covering Bil’in weekly protest, west of Ramallah. Many other civilians suffered tear gas inhalation and 2 international solidarity activists were arrested in the same protest.
In the Gaza Strip, medical sources in Palestine Hospital in Egypt declared that Wedad Abu Zaid died on 29 August 2014 because of wounds she sustained during the Israeli offensive on the Gaza Strip on 29 July 2014.
On 01 September 2014, medical sources pronounced Basem ‘Ajour (60) dead of wounds he sustained during the Israeli offensive on 25 August 2014.
On the same day, medical sources pronounced Zeyad al-Rifi (13) dead of wounds he sustained on 21 August 2014 in an attack in al-Nafaq area.
On 03 September 2013, medical sources in Egypt pronounced Nasser Abu Marahil (40) dead of wounds he sustained on 25 July 2014 in al-Nusairat area.
In the context of chasing Palestinian fishermen in the sea, on 02 September 2014, Israeli gunboats stationed off Rafah shore in the southern Gaza Strip opened fire at Palestinian fishing boats, while gunboats stationed off al-Sudaniya shore, northwest of Beit Lahia in the northern Gaza Strip opened fire at Palestinian fishing boats for the second time. Neither arrests nor material damage were reported.
On 01 September 2014, Israeli gunboats stationed off al-Waha resort opened fire at Palestinian fishing boats. They arrested 2 fishermen and confiscated their fishing boat and net. There has been no information so far about the destination to which they were taken so far.