Saturday, November 24, 2012

Israel Expands West Bank Arrests After Gaza Accord Ends Fighting

- Bloomberg
 
Israeli security forces extended a wave of arrests in the West Bank three days after a cease-fire ended the conflict in the Gaza Strip.
The Israeli army has detained 83 Palestinians since the accord went into effect late on Nov. 21, including some suspected of involvement in a bomb attack on a Tel Aviv bus earlier that day, a spokeswoman said on condition of anonymity in line with military rules. Hamas, which controls Gaza, said in an e-mail today that 230 people have been arrested, including six Hamas members of the Palestinian parliament.
The accord brokered by Egypt and the U.S. ended eight days of air strikes and missile firing that left more than 160 Palestinians and six Israelis dead. The cease-fire has largely held since it was announced late on Nov. 21, though both sides said there were breaches yesterday.
Hamas said one Palestinian was killed and at least 19 injured after Israeli border guards opened fire. The group, considered a terrorist organization by Israel, the U.S. and the European Union, said it has complained to Egypt about the incident and won’t take further action. Israel said groups of Palestinians in the southern Gaza Strip had hurled rocks and tried to damage the security fence.
The United Nations agency for Palestinian refugees, which operates 245 schools in Gaza, said on its website that they will all reopen today and offer “increased services to traumatized children.”
The UN’s Committee on the Rights of the Child said on Nov. 22 that the Gaza conflict will have a “devastating and lasting impact” on children on both sides. It said at least 26 children in Gaza were killed and more than 400 injured, while 14 children in southern Israel were wounded by Palestinian missiles.

 reporters on this story: Saud Abu Ramadan in Gaza City at sramadan@bloomberg.net; Sharon Wrobel in Tel Aviv at swrobel4@bloomberg.net.